News Briefs for April 4

Curran Nielsen and Emily Evans

Dance team travels to Cabo
The Mater Dei dance team left today to Mexico where they are serving underprivileged youth through dance as part of the philanthropic mission of Gala de Danza.

Vietnam veterans speak to students
Vietnam veterans spoke to World History students in the rotunda in the library yesterday. The veterans talked to the students about their experiences and how they have shaped them into the people they are today.

Varsity softball plays in the Michelle Carew Classic
Yesterday, the varsity softball team played in the Michelle Carew Classic against Pacifica High School. The team won 4-1 at Peralta Park in Anaheim Hills and will continue playing Poway High School today. The tournament is held in memory of Michelle Carew, a softball player from Canyon High School, who passed away in 1996.

Students travel to Catholic Youth Advocacy Day
On Tuesday, seniors Rodrigo Gonzalez, Melita Kalcynska, Elena Van Eenenaam, Melanie Villasin, and Jude Zabala and junior Dabius Kim traveled to the ninth annual Catholic Youth Advocacy Day in Sacramento. There, these selected students gave presentations to officials and staff members about Catholic teaching.

Varsity baseball participates in Boras Classic
Starting on the Monday of spring break and ending March 29, the varsity baseball team participated in the Boras Classic, one of the biggest elite baseball classics on the west coast, against teams such as JSerra and Simi Valley. Games were held on Mater Dei’s Rod Dedeaux field.