Trending Shoes at Mater Dei

Rachel Taeubel, Staff Writer

Every year, Mater Dei students add their own style and flare to their school uniform with their shoes. Let’s take a look at the biggest shoe trends at Mater Dei.

Dr. Martensdocmartens
“It’s funny because my mom used to wear them when she was in high school and now I have a pair,” said junior Emma Eschenburg. 

Dr. Martens is a British footwear company that was founded in 1947. Although they were made popular in the 90s, Docs (as they are commonly called) are making a comeback. Each pair is easily identifiable with the yellow stitching around the borders. The average price of Docs can be expensive, but it is easy to find knock-offs that look the same. Wearing them with the school uniform gives it a preppy look. In addition, many students opt for the high top Docs when wearing jeans for spirit dress days.

Vans Checkerboard Slip-On 

vans
“I don’t think you can get a pair of shoes that are more comfy. I could wear these all day!” said junior Savannah Stewart.

Vans produces many shoes that are extremely high-selling, especially for skaters and sports people alike. With an overall checkered print, canvas material and the trademark label on the heel, this shoe is as classic. Interesting fact: the under sole of the shoe has overlapping lines that produce cool star patterns. These slip-ons have an extra thick band on the heel that allows for more cushion. Many students wear them to add a touch of fun to their uniform. 

Chuck Taylor All Star Classchucktaylorsic

“Converse are nice because you can  wear them with anything,” said senior Delaney Kitching.

Converse are a staple shoe for Mater Dei students. It’s likely that each student has at least one pair in his or her closet. Chucks are popular among girls and boys because of their neutrality and casual look. However, the company is always coming out with special editions, new prints and fun colors. The signature high tops are especially prominent in the collection of shoes at Mater Dei. Wear them with any combination of the uniform for a casual and comfy look, or add a little more of your own flare with patterned ones. Don’t forget to buy yourself a pair of red Converse to show off your school spirit!

Steve Madden Ecentrcq Slip-On

IMG_2768 (1)
“I saw another girl wear these at school. I loved how classy they looked, so I bought myself a pair,” said sophomore Kenzie Frank.

Steve Madden is known for its fashionable shoes, but none have seemed to be as popular among Mater Dei students as have the Ecentrcq slip-ons. The crossover stitching on these shoes gives them a cool quilted look. Each pair has a small circular pin on the outer heel with the company’s name printed on it. The slip-ons allow for maximum comfort and are easy to match with any outfit. Wearing them with the uniform can make your outfit look more sophisticated.

Adidas Superstar Shoes

IMG_2766 (2)
“I bought mine last year during New York Fashion Week before anyone had them, and now everyone does,” said junior Torrie Krantz.

The name really says it all because these shoes have become the superstar trend at Mater Dei this year so far. Perhaps it is because many celebrities, including Kendall Jenner, have worn them and made them such a big fashion statement. These shoes have the iconic Adidas three band stripes. . Mater Dei students wear these shoes with just about any uniform. They look great with the pants too. Add these to your outfit for a more retro look.