Student Spotlight: Sean Duncan

Nicole Kreisch, Sports Editor

Sean Duncan, senior and starting center on Mater Dei boys varsity water polo, has committed to continue his sport career at Princeton University. Like many kids, Duncan played other sports as a child including baseball, basketball and swimming. He realized when he was 7-years-old that water polo was the sport for him.

“I was better at it than any other sport I played. I also liked it because I didn’t have to run,” Duncan said.

Duncan and the rest of the boys water polo team are currently battling through the CIF semi-finals and finals. “Hopefully we can win CIF,” he said. “But more importantly, [I hope] for  the season to run smoothly and to do our best as a team.”

Sean Duncan makes a powerful move from center, scoring against his opponents.

As a graduating senior with a water polo career ahead of him, Duncan professed that his coach and teachers have helped prepare him to get to where he is today. 

“They challenge me with a hard schedule and have taught me how to be successful and effectively manage my time,” he said.

Water polo opened up a lot of opportunities for Duncan—enabling him to visit many college campuses, and ultimately encouraged his decision to commit. 

“When I visited Princeton last spring break, I just knew,” he said, ” the combination of athletics and academics and the fact that I get to experience a whole new part of the country is just so cool.” 

Duncan’s love of the sport has kept him focused and competitive all these years, keeping him in the game.

“You shouldn’t be playing if you’re not having fun. You do it for yourself,” said Duncan. 

This perspective has guided Duncan through his water polo career and he’ll take it with him all the way to Princeton.