Out of Service: Service Hours Opportunities

Cesar Venegas, Staff Writer

Are you in need of service hour opportunities but have no idea how to help? Here are some options for students who need service hours, whether by tutoring, spending time with kids or helping children in general.

Every Monarch at Mater Dei is required to turn in service hours at the end of the semester. Freshmen must turn in 20 hours, sophomores turn in 40 hours, juniors turn in 60 hours and seniors must turn in 80.  Just in case people still need service hour opportunities, here are a few locations:

If you are the type of person who really enjoys school, the Lighthouse Community Center is the place for you. This Santa Ana community center is looking for students to volunteer by tutoring. Students can tutor 1st-5th graders, once a week, depending on when they want to volunteer. The tutoring will usually last around one hour and 30 minutes, with times between 3:30-5:00 p.m. or 5:30-7:00 p.m. No experience is needed since the community center will provide all needed materials. If interested, contact Meredith Miyake at [email protected] or call 949-769-8327.

Don’t like tutoring but still want to be around kids? St. Cecilia School in Tustin is looking for students who can volunteer after school. Students will help kids from 3:00-5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. This opportunity includes helping out kids in homework rooms and supervising on the playground. Contact Annabelle Badua to see what times you can volunteer at [email protected] or call the school at 714-544-6465.  

Another opportunity to work with children is at the Sacred Heart Kid’s Club located at the Heart Of Jesus Retreat Center in Santa Ana. Students get involved by building crafts, helping with homework and talking to the children. Volunteers can come every Thursday from 3:00-6:00 p.m. There are opportunities to volunteer every Saturday or Sunday. Call 714-557-4538 for any questions, or email [email protected].

Mercy House, an agency focused on helping families and children in need of support, is looking for students who can volunteer to play, watch, and interact with children 10 and under. Students can volunteer Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:45-8:15 p.m. Be advised though, the agency is looking for people who can commit to one visit a week or every other week. Contact Ashleigh Anderson at [email protected]. You can also call 714-836-7188 or visit the www.mercyhouse.net for more information.

This opportunity is specifically for  juniors and seniors. St. Thomas Moore in Irvine needs volunteers who have already received confirmation to help with their junior high program. Volunteers will help out by giving talks and performing skits for the participants in the program.  Students would need to go two times a month on Tuesdays from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. This is a good opportunity to earn direct service hours and get involved with your community. Come to Campus Ministry or email Lisa Busch at [email protected] for more information.