Senior Interview Day: Real World Experience

Claire Liu and Carlos Chavez

The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. Seniors had the opportunity on October 17 and 18 to be interviewed in preparation for college in the Meruelo Athletic Center by parents and business professionals.

Senior interview is when seniors get the opportunity to be interviewed by parents and business professionals to prepare for college and job interviews. This interview practice is a part of the college unit where seniors work on their essays, write resumes and look at what colleges they are going to select.

Senior interviews started because staff noticed that students who were interviewing for college were struggling and needed help.

“A colleague of ours started it, Dana Vasquez, when she taught seniors,” said Jeanette Costa, Associate Director of Student Activities.

Senior interview day has been a tradition for the last 10 years. Last year senior interview day was not held due to the new schedule. Due to high demand by parents the English department brought it back this year.

Seniors write resumes, review on how to dress and practice potential interview questions. The parents and business professionals sit at tables and students are assigned to a specific table. The interviewers have the mindset of hiring the person they are interviewing. At the end of the interview, the interviewer writes up a rubric and gives the student feedback on how they did, what they did well and what they need to work on.

After being interviewed seniors recognize where they have skills and where they need help. Learning how to communicate is a skill to be practiced here.

Jeanette Costa rumored to have something similar with juniors in the near future.

“…Maybe having some college representatives going over college applications,” said Costa. “More workshops on how to choose a college and how to apply for one.”

Many students and parents are satisfied with how much the senior interviews help and encourage others to participate in this event.