Shirts for a Cause

Juniors Lauren Cruise, Lindsay Beane, and Katie Jimenez wearing their shirts on a featured pink shirt day.

Ryan Nguyen, Copy Chief

The tradition of selling pink shirts at Mater Dei in October approximately started about three years ago. With “InspiRED” on the back of each shirt, pinks shirts have been a popular student favorite each year and have inspired students to live in Honor, Glory, and Love.

The selling of pink shirts was created by Director of Student Activities Diana Neustadt & Associate Director of Student Activities Jeanette Costa to support a fellow co-worker, Griselda Zamora, who passed away from breast cancer.

For the last two years, the proceeds were donated to support her family with the expenses. However, starting in 2016, the proceeds gathered from pinks shirts will be donated to a scholarship fund created in honor of Griselda Zamora.

Usually sold in October because of Breast Cancer Awareness month, Mater Dei’s pink shirts have been spreading support and awareness for breast cancer by those who have purchased them. With the accumulation of two t-shirt designs over the past three years, this tradition of pink shirts will continue to be a legacy that honors those and their families who have been affected with breast cancer.