Lights Out

Mater Dei holds it’s first night rally to raise school spirit

Katelyn Such, Staff Writer

Mater Dei’s first ever night rally was held on Oct. 27 in the Meruelo Athletic Center. It sent a jolt of Monarch spirit through the student body for the upcoming football game against rival school Servite. It’s black light theme was both exciting and mysterious, creating a unique atmosphere which gained positive feedback from students.

The anticipation of this new rally caused a stir of excitement in junior Divina Davidds-Garrido. She was enthusiastic about its bright-colored theme.

“I’m most looking forward to the fact that it’s gonna be black light and neon colors,” Davidds-Garrido said. “That’s gonna be really cool, especially because it’s at night.”

Freshman Emilio Castaneda was eager to experience something fresh and unique. He was drawn to the fact that he didn’t know what to expect from this rally.

“I’m pretty excited for the night itself because it’s something new and something I’ve never experienced,” Castaneda said.

The rally sent a shock of buzz and excitement through the school, especially the students.

“I thought that the Blackout Rally was a new and different experience than most Mater Dei events I have attended,” said sophomore Kelsey West. “It was really cool and I had a lot of fun!”

Sophomore Sarah Collazo was fond of the performances and visual aspects of the rally. She even thought that this was one of the most successful rallies she has gone to.

“The dances were really good and so was the music. I thought the rally was one of the best ones yet,” Collazo said.

The highly anticipated blackout rally was a success, with a large student outcome and a profusion of school spirit.