ASB Travels to D.C. for Presidential Inauguration

Ryan Nguyen, Copy Chief

On Jan. 20, 2017, Donald J. Trump was inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States at the U.S. capitol, Washington D.C. According to the LA Times, 30.6 million television viewers across 12 networks watched the Presidential Inauguration.
The Inauguration marked a monumental event for 2017, and was the start of the next four years of the Trump administration. Trump’s inaugural address included topics that ranged from American unity, resolutions to fix the country and giving the power back to the people.
“Today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another or from one party to another, but we are transferring power from Washington D.C. and giving it back to you, the people” said Trump.
Throughout his speech, Trump repeated his common message of American unity by incorporating a repetition of “we will’s.” He specifically focused on bringing America back to “winning again, winning like never before.” By concentrating on the passion, dreams and patriotism of the American people, Trump tried to connect the U.S. people as one.
“It’s time to remember that old wisdom our soldiers will never forget — that whether we are black or brown or white, we all bleed the same red blood of patriots,” Trump said.
Topics like immigration and foreign affairs from Trump’s campaign days were mentioned briefly but were not the main focus of his speech.
Mater Dei’s own students and teachers attended the Inauguration to experience this event personally. Diana Neustadt, director of Student Activities, along with faculty and staff members, chaperoned the trip. During the Inauguration speech, students and teachers were located in front of the National Air and Space Museum.
“I felt good [during the Inauguration]. It’s just nice to come together with the American people, regardless of how you voted and I think that’s the point of that day—to come together” Neustadt said.
This trip was not Neustadt’s first Presidential Inauguration. She attended President Obama’s second Inauguration in 2013.
Along with Neudstadt, senior and ASB President Graham McGee attended the Inauguration trip to Washington. This was his first time experiencing an inauguration in person.
“It was kind of like a rush to be honest, just hearing him speak,” McGee said. “I’ve never heard him speak in person before so it was just so cool to hear that.”