Girls volleyball defeated Marymount to win their fifth CIF-SS Championship

Jeremy De La Torre, Staff Reporter

The varsity girls volleyball team again defeated Marymount of Los Angeles in a rematch on November 11th during the CIF-SS Girls Volleyball Championship at Cerritos College in three sets: 26-24, 26-24, 25-21. This is the Monarchs’ fifth CIF-SS girls volleyball championship since 2015.

“Winning CIF is one of the greatest feelings,” said senior libero and team captain Kelsey Campeau, who has been on the team since freshmen year. “We work so hard all season to make it to the CIF Finals and winning I’d just the icing on the cake. There is nothing to describe it. It’s so fulfilling and exciting and so special when you get to experience with coaches and teammates that you love.”

Although the team lost to Archbishop Mitty at last week’s CIF State Girls Volleyball Championship, Campeau said the team has tried focusing on the positives.

“We all love each other so much and were more sad that the season was over, rather than the fact that we’d lost, especially because we accomplished so many great things through the season,” Campeau said.

Tori Mejia sophomore libero said that losing was a “blessing in disguise.”

“It is a great life lesson on teaching me to always work hard and giving me a goal for next year,” Mejia said. “The pain of losing will help me fight later on to assure I won’t have to feel it again.”

Despite their 37-6 record, head Coach Dan O’Dell said that this has “been an up and down year.”

“We sustained some injuries in the middle part and had to adjust our line up a couple of  times,” said O’Dell, who is also a Mater Dei math teacher.

Back in October when the girls played Marymount, the team was down three girls, juniors Mandalay Rennon and Brielle Mullally and senior Erika Calvagna. O’Dell felt “getting those girls back were part of the deal” to play Marymount again in the CIF-SS girls volleyball championship.

According to O’Dell, the team prepared for the CIF-SS Championship game beforehand by scouting reporting their opponents. During practices, the team worked on implementing new strategies and new movements on the court and setting up game plans. They also prayed before every game in the chapel with Helen Steves, the Director of Campus Ministry.

In the off months, the girls join club volleyball to stay motivated and active. Tuaniga said that “continuing training, getting stronger, faster and staying healthy” will help them prepare for next season.

“This season I felt very good about it we had a lot of accomplishments this season that no one else has,” sophomore setter Mia Tuaniga said. “Next year should be very exciting, I think we’re still going to be as good or even better, and I’m excited for the upcoming [season].”