US Army selects three varsity football players to play in All-American game

Jake Bays and Jeremy De La Torre

Varsity football lineman Chris Murray, receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown and linebacker Solomon Tuliaupupu, all seniors, were selected as part of the 2018 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, which will be held in the Alamodome in San Antonio, Tex., on January 6.

The game will be an East versus West match-up involving the nation’s top 100 high school football players.

With three students playing in the bowl, Mater Dei is tied for the most participants, according to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl website.

According to Murray, he’s motivated to be playing in the Army game because his grandfather served in the Army.

“Playing in this game [is like] I’m honoring him,” he said. “I hope he’s looking down on me, and just, you know, happy for what I’m doing.”

St. Brown, too, feels humbled after receiving the opportunity to play in this game.

“It’s an honor to play for the people that put their lives on line for us everyday,” St. Brown said. “It’s an honor to play in the game, to represent America, to represent the army I mean its huge to play in this game. It’s always been a dream of mine to play either in the Under Armour game or Army game.”

Murray has played all four years at Mater Dei, and St. Brown transferred out of Mater Dei rivalry school, Servite High School, after his freshmen year. However, Tuliaupupu has only been playing for the Monarchs for a semester.

“My team and my coaches have put a lot of effort into me, you know, helping me become what I am today, and I’m just thankful for everyone being there and supporting me,” Tuliaupupu said.