Starting the Season Off with a Splash: Boys Water Polo

Coach Segesman meets with boys varsity water polo at a timeout to discuss their next plan for attack.

Nicole Kresich, Staff Reporter

To start off the season, Mater Dei boys water polo scrimmaged Harvard Westlake at Mater Dei on Sat., Sept. 5, 2015 to reinstate the rivalry after losing to them in the CIF finals last year.

“We focused on the game,” said sophomore goalie Billy Motherway about their pregame mentality.

Immediately after the first whistle was blown, the two teams broke out into an intense and highly aggressive scrimmage. Despite the physicality of the game, Mater Dei was able to hold their own against Harvard Westlake.

“We were able to shut down their best player,” said sophomore Wyatt Benson, who’s entering his first season with Mater Dei.

Although no score was kept throughout the scrimmage, Mater Dei’s strong defense and powerful offensive strikes led them to an obvious victory over Harvard Westlake. The Monarch boys started off the season with a strong scrimmage over reigning CIF champions, Harvard Westlake, setting the tone for the rest of their season.

“We’re going to win it this year,” Billy Motherway said. The boys water polo team has been training everyday, both weight lifting and in-pool workouts in preparation for their 2015 season.

“Physically, the training is the same as it was last year,” said Coach Segesman, “however, we have two new left handed players this year that change our offensive attack. We’re working on new rotations and new sets.” Mater Dei boys enter their first official season game on September 17th against Murrieta Valley at Mater Dei.

waterpolopic2
The boys huddle around Coach Segesman and Coach Nate to plan their next strike against Harvard Westlake.

Upcoming Home Games
October 6 (Tues.)- MD vs. Long Beach Wilson (5:45)

October 14 (Wed.)- MD vs. Harvard Westlake (6:00)

October 15 (Thurs.)- MD vs. St. John Bosco (4:00)

October 21 (Wed.)- MD vs. Servite (6:00)

November 2 (Mon.)- MD vs. Edison (5:45)

November 6 (Fri.)- MD vs. CDM (6:00)

CIF (TBD)