New guitar elective strums into school year

Divina Davidds and Holly Nance

Now in its second year, the guitar elective has grown since its debut last year. It now includes an advanced class, Guitar Media Production, for upperclassmen and advanced players.

The elective, taught by performing arts teachers Fernando Martinez and Ken Parker, was once only open to freshmen. While the Guitar Ensemble course, the beginner’s elective, focuses on basic guitar theory and open chords, the advanced curriculum provides a more in-depth study of the instrument and how to improvise.

Parker says he wants his students to know that they will always be able to play guitar for the rest of their lives. His goal is to give them a gift they can use forever.

Senior Vincent Pozzuoli, who began playing guitar in fourth grade, and sophomore Grant L’Heureux, who has been playing since third grade, are both students enrolled in this elective.

“I feel like I got really lucky when Mater Dei offered this elective last year, my freshman year,” L’ Heureux said. “It’s by far my favorite class and I’ve learned a lot so far and also met cool people who have a common interest in music.”

L’Heureux said he took the class to become a better guitar player and to have an excuse to bring his guitar to school. He’s also hoping to learn different techniques and how to play different styles of music, not just the punk rock style he’s used to. He also hopes to be able to listen to any song and replicate what is being played. 

In addition, one aspect of the class that both L’Heureux and Pozzuoli enjoy is their teacher, Parker.

“[Mr. Parker] is a pretty fun, pretty great teacher,” Pozzuoli said.

Parker always tries to make the class fun for all the students in any way he can.

“We say that we’re playing music, not working it,” Parker said. “Although the students have to commit some time and effort, I try to make the effort enjoyable so the journey becomes the destination. In that way, I try to let the students have a lot of say in what they play and how. This way the effort becomes personal and the impact on the students will be greater.”

Parker is currently helping his students prepare for an upcoming Halloween performance. In class, they are practicing Halloween-themed songs such as The Munsters’ theme song and “Don’t Fear the Reaper” by Blue Öyster Cult. In the spring, the class hopes to put on a Beatles tribute performance.

“The students will be able to form their own bands and develop sets of songs that fit their own tastes rather than me telling them what they have to play,” Parker said.

Parker prides himself on keeping the class fun and instilling a genuine passion for music in all his students.

“I keep things light,” Parker said. “Everyone seems to enjoy class and they look forward to being here so it seems like it’s working.”