The Scarlet Scroll

MD grandparents experience the magic of Mater Dei at semi-annual Grandparents’ Day

Lexi Perez, Staff reporter

Cassidy Meyer
Grandparents observe their granddaughter using new technology.

Creating a day for grandparents to connect with their grandchildren on campus was one of Allison Bergeron’s main goals when she started working at Mater Dei in 2008. It wasn’t until 2010 did Bergeron finally hold Mater Dei’s first Grandparents’ Day.

“I was very close to my grandmother, Bridget, and named my daughter after her,” Bergeron said. My grandmother lived to be 96 and was a true model of grace, integrity, and humor.”

On Oct. 4, students’ grandparents became Monarchs for a day at the semi-annual Grandparents’ Day. The spring Grandparents’ Day is Feb. 5.

“I love seeing grandparents come back every year with their grandchildren,” Bergeron said.

According to Bergeron, only 50 grandparents were in attendance on the very first Grandparents’ Day, which was held in February 2010. About 95 grandparents attended this fall’s Grandparents’ Day. 

“Grandparents’ Day is an opportunity for our students to share the magic of Mater Dei with their grandparents,” Bergeron said. “We know that they often attend games, events, performances and celebrations, but coming on campus during the day is a pretty special way to experience Mater Dei.”

The day’s schedule included shadowing one of their grandchild’s class, attending mass in the chapel and a luncheon, and participating in a Kahoot! game about school trivia.

“Grandparents’ Day was a lot of fun, and I can’t wait to [participate] all four years I’m here at Mater Dei,” freshman Arianna Cabada said. “I know my grandma really loved it as much as I did.”