Local favorite seafood restaurants offer variety from poke to hibachi

Randall Hart, Sports Editor

Randall Hart
The sushi bar inside of Bear Flag is one of the most common – and fastest – ways for customers to order food.

Seafood in Orange County varies from restaurants with an Asian influence to those with a fresh California style. Within the 950 square miles of the OC, there are hundreds of dining locations that offer unique and local seafood experiences. With Mater Dei being only 11.3 miles away from the ocean, it is easy to understand why there is such a high level of interest for seafood.

POKE SUSHI, Orange

Poke Sushi offers mostly an assortment of sushi rolls and signature poke bowls. The seaweed salad is also a favorite among many customers.

“Poke Sushi in Orange is really great because they have a lot of sushi for a good price and the poke bowl with octopus is my favorite,” junior Antonio Shepard said.

Poke Sushi is located at 313 East Katella Avenue in Orange. See their menu at pokesushi.net.

BENIHANA, Orange

Benihana is another favorite of students on campus. Benihana is a family-style restaurant and is best approached with a large group – and often a special occasion – to understand the full experience. When seated at a table, a personal chef will perform the ancient art of Teppanyaki, is a style of Japanese cooking that involves and iron griddle for the preparation of food.

“The food is amazing and the people are so nice there I always feel welcomed,” junior Kiki Kitsinis said. “Hibachi shrimp is the must have thing on the menu for me. I have liked [it] for a while now [because] it’s always so good.”

Benihana is located at 250 Birch Street in Newport Beach. See their menu at benihana.com.

WAFU OF JAPAN, Costa Mesa

Wafu of Japan is more geared towards daily customers and smaller parties that come through. This exclusivity allows locals to get away from touristy restaurants and relax in an authentic environment.

“It’s a small restaurant where the locals go and the samurai burrito is what I usually get when I go,” junior Allegra Misitano said.

Wafu of Japan is located at 320 Bristol Street in Costa Mesa. See their menu at wafuofjapan.com.

BEAR FLAG, Newport Beach

Randall Hart
The signature Bear Flag roll features king crab and selection of 10 sashimi pieces by the chef.

Bear Flag, a local sushi restaurant in Newport Beach, has their own fishing boat. The restaurant has a much different atmosphere with its casual environment. Order from the sushi bar in order to avoid the typically-long lines and get seated quickly.

“I love getting the Bear Flag Roll at $13; it’s a good deal for the amount of food you get and the sushi bar is a must you get past the line that way,” junior Greg Whiter said.

Bear Flag is located at 3421 Via Lido in Newport Beach. See their menu at bearflagfishco.com.

KABUKI, Huntington Beach

Kabuki has four locations in the Orange County area and is well-known for their platters.

“I frequent the one in Huntington Beach, and I really like the whole menu and the quick service is great,” sophomore Alex Guldjian said. “I eat the Spicy Tuna Roll a lot when I go there.”

Kabuki is located at 7801 Edinger Avenue in Huntington Beach. See their menu at kabukirestaurants.com.

SUSHI ON FIRE, Huntington Beach

Sushi on Fire is one of the best all-around Japanese restaurants in Huntington Beach. Honing its craft for more than 10 years, Sushi on Fire offers a great combination of traditional style Japanese food and in-house sashimi and sushi.

“I like Sushi on Fire, and I like getting the tuna roll,” senior Michela Fazio said.

Sushi on Fire is located at 301 Main St. in Huntington Beach. See their menu at sushionfire.com.

Randall Hart
The octopus from the fish station at Bear Flag is freshly caught on the restaurant’s family-owned boat that is kept in the Newport Harbor.

Kura Revolving Sushi Bar, Costa Mesa

Kura Revolving Sushi Bar allows you to try many types of seafood at a quick pace with sushi rolls being released all at once around your revolving table. The best part of this restaurant is that customers get to expand their palates while not sacrificing the quality of food or the time waiting to order certain rolls.

“I really enjoy going to Kura Sushi and the fast-pace revolving sushi bar that makes eating there fast and easy,” senior Camille Danner said. “My favorite thing to get is the crunchy roll.”

Kura Sushi is located at 212 E 17th street in Costa Mesa. See their menu at kura-sushi.com.