Athletes spring into the sports season

Mia Hawkins and Valerie Kramer

• CHEERING THE TEAMS: Seniors cheer on their spring sports teams at the Spring Sports Rally on March 15. Each sports team whose season takes place in the spring months was able to walk through the Meruelo Athletic Center. Cheer was one sport specifically recognized by Athletic Director Tia Meza for their successful season, which included a CIF championship.

• TEAM PLAYERS: Juniors Annemarie Verkuylen and Turner Mills participate in the wheelbarrow race in the Spring Sports Rally obstacle course. "I really enjoy engaging the student body and watching them get excited about games and execution," Verkuylen said.

• SINGING TROUPE: Seniors Anthony Barajas, Nick Van Dalsem, and Jaden Marquez perform their song for the Senior Musical, "Guys and Dolls," at the Spring Sports Rally.

• SWIM INTO SEASON: The Mater Dei swim team walks into the rally led by juniors Jacob Abaoag and Jack Gannaway.

• DODGEBALL SHENANIGANS: One of the games that athletes and coaches were able to participate in was a game of dodgeball. Coaches teamed up in one side of the court their athletics on the other and the battle to be the last person standing began. The game ended with multiple people making it to the end and no singular winner. Students in the crowd were able to cheer on their teammates and coaches.

• SMILING FOR THE CROWD: Track athletes junior Taylor Wilkison and sophomore David Nisson walk with their team at the spring sports rally. The team stood out by shining flashlights from their phones while they walked. "Coach Martinez told us to use flashlights in the rally because he wants to let the school know that we are the 'stars' of the sport,” junior captain Taylor Wilkison said.

• 007 PROM: This year’s prom court was announced during the spring sports rally. Seniors Arman Kayhan-Mahd, Sultan (Nick) Barq, William Gibson, Jacinta Kiruku, Lily Schuda, Magdalena Zucker and Betty Pham pose together after being nominated at the rally. Students who were also nominated but not in attendance were Glen (Shakobe) Harper, Jonathan Lefebvre and Angeliki Kitsinis.