Two candidates run for 2019-2020 ASB president

Polls open this morning for next year’s ASB officers, including the positions of president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. Allison Barry, the candidate for vice president, Sam Neglia, the candidate for secretary, and Abbie Frank, the candidate for treasurer are running unopposed; however, juniors Lili Phung and Dakota (Kody) Rymer are both running for president. Voting closes at 3 p.m. today and results will be out by the end of the day.

The following interviews were conducted via email.

LILI PHUNG

Ellie Crabbe
Lili Phung

Can you explain some of the changes that ASB underwent this year?

Coming into the rally commission this year, my team and I promised that we would try our best to integrate as much of the student body into the rallies as possible. Just because it’s a “Winter Sports Rally” doesn’t mean that the games and activities only have to include athletes. We wanted to do games and segments including people of all interests and hobbies. Our last rally seemed to go super well and we are hoping to bring that goal into the ones in the future.

What have your roles on ASB been up until now, and how have they shaped you?

In my freshman year, I was a freshman senator which I loved because it really helped me get to know Mater Dei and make new friends. From then on, I knew I wanted to be in ASB for all four years. My sophomore year, I was in the Go Green commission which definitely taught me hard work and dedication. This year I am the Head rally commissioner which has required a lot of time and effort but I absolutely love my position and my commission. I think all of these positions have given me the tools to be a great president.

If you could tell yourself anything when you entered MD knowing what you do now, what would it be and why?

Put yourself out there! There’s absolutely no harm in going outside of you comfort zone. All of my best experiences at Mater Dei have resulted from me doing something i haven’t done before or something i was hesitant about at first. You’ll never know what your niche could be at Mater Dei if you don’t try things you aren’t used to. I had no idea that public speaking would be an interest of mine but being a rally commissioner this year has been so much fun.

Share a fun fact about yourself!

I’m half Vietnamese and half Australian!

KODY RYMER

Some changes that were introduced this year was the implementation of a new app called 5 Star! It is extremely helpful and makes checking your points so much easier. We are also trying to plan a new dance around March for all students to participate in so I am looking forward to that as well!

Ellie Crabbe
Kody Rymer

I have been class treasurer for the past three years and they have been the most influential in my student career. I am so blessed and lucky to have been given this opportunity to lead my class. They have shaped me to become a servant leader, a listener, and a friend for others to talk to. I am beyond grateful for all of the people who have guided me and have helped me to become the student I am today.

I would tell myself to be confident, be kind, and to include all people. I would also tell myself to not be afraid to be different, and, most importantly, to get involved!!

Share a fun fact about yourself!

A fun fact about me is that I love to read! I read at least one book a week to relax and de-stress! I have read at least 300 books in the last three years! I am currently on an 100 book challenge for 2019.