Saving Lives One Drop at a Time

Students donate blood at November blood drive

Saving Lives One Drop at a Time

Claire Couyoumjian

On Nov. 14 and 15, Mater Dei High School  hosted their annual Red Cross Blood Drive in the Murello Athletic Center to help those in need of a blood transfusion.

Every year there are approximately 4.5 million Americans that would perish if they did not have the opportunity to receive a blood transfusion from blood donors (bnl.gov.). Mater Dei strongly encourages all students to donate blood to help those who potentially need your help.

“We try to gain as many donators as possible. Through each blood donation we can actually save up to three lives,” said Red Cross Club representative Charlie Wiggs.

There are several Mater Dei students that participate in this opportunity. To donate blood, the students must be the appropriate weight, height and must not have any blood related medical issues.

The process leading up to giving blood includes several specific steps. It includes an interview, questionnaire, finger prick to monitor your iron levels and blood pressure test.

“You head to a room, and they check your iron, your blood pressure, and you answer, I think it’s 60 questions about medical health,” said senior Thrisha Torre.

Giving blood usually takes around 20-30 minutes, depending on how fast your blood flows. The nurses that work the blood drive are very attentive to the needs of participants during the process. Once finished, participants recieve complimentary snacks and drinks that help replenish the body.

This November blood drive is not the only blood drive that Mater Dei will be hosting during this 2016-2017 school year. A blood drive will also be taking place during the spring on April 5 and 6 of 2017.

“It is one of the most important things we can do at this school,” Wiggs said.