Career Day Provides Students with a Glimps at Future Career Possibilities

Claire Couyoumjian, Staff Writer

On March 15, Mater Dei High School held their annual Career Day for enrolled junior students, as a tool to introduce students to professions that they may find interest in for their future.

“They talk to students about careers that they are interested in. So we give you an array of twenty to twenty-five options,” said Arthur Aragon academic counselor.

Aragon is one of the people in charge of putting together Career Day for junior students.

During this event, a speaker for each profession ran a classroom and taught the students all about what it is like to work in their line of work. The speakers gave a brief explanation of their story and why they entered their line of work. They will also provide a concise explanation of what to expect, how to become successful, and how to get ahead at the beginning of your career. Some speakers also talked about their salaries and how much education is required in order to find that specific job.

“The speakers that come in… are majority alumni, if not they are friends and family of the Mater Dei family, so it’s pretty neat,” Aragon said.

During Career Day, juniors had the option to visit two careers of their choice. Each classroom visit lasted about an hour and a half. Mater Dei holds this event specifically for the benefit of the students. This opportunity allows the students to open themselves up to ideas they never imagined that they would find interest.

These were the following careers/speakers:

Accountant/ Finance

Architect/ Landscape Architect

Business Entrepreneurship

Business Management/ Sports Marketing

Dentist/ Orthodontist

Doctor

Engineer

Entertainment Performance

Entertainment Management/ Production

Fire Fighter

IT/ Computer Science

Law Enforcement

Lawyer

Nurse

Physical/ Occupational Therapist

Realtor/ Mortgage

Social Worker/ Psychologist

Teacher

Speech Pathologist

Disney Imagineer

Visual Arts