The Scarlet Scroll

News briefs for Wednesday, Oct. 24

Hayley Skonieczny, Design Editor for the CROWN Yearbook

GIRLS VARSITY VOLLEYBALL

Tonight, the girls varsity volleyball team will take on Long Beach Poly for the second round of CIFs at 6 p.m. at Long Beach Poly High School. The lady Monarchs hope to continue to their winning streak against the Jackrabbits in another fierce match-up.

“We’re really excited for the atmosphere tonight, there’s going to be a big crowd and can’t wait to feed off of it,” senior Brielle Mullally said.

VOLLEYBALL COACH EARNS 200TH WIN

In a win against Great Oaks High School last Thursday, Dan O’Dell, the girls varsity volleyball head coach, acquired his 200th win. This is Coach O’Dell’s sixth year leading the lady Monarchs and he has racked up many wins over the past five years from tournaments to Southern Section CIF Finals.

“It was great,” O’Dell said. “I’m excited for the rest of CIF playoffs to see how we stack up against the best teams in Southern California and if the girls embrace the moment.”

SURF TEAM VS. CORONA DEL MAR

Catching the morning waves, the Mater Dei Surf Team will be competing against Corona Del Mar on tomorrow at 6:30 a.m. in Huntington State Beach, Tower 5. This team is open to all students of all skill levels and compete in 5 different divisions.

“I feel confident about the contest tomorrow for sure because we’ve had a really good season start so far and we definitely have most fun out there,” senior Brendan Obermeyer said.