Academic Decathlon preps for regional competition

Students+prepare+for+their+debate+and+practice+with+one+another.+One+student+goes+up+to+practice+in+front+of+her+two+other+classmates.+

Courtesy of Anna-Lisa George '89

Students prepare for their debate and practice with one another. One student goes up to practice in front of her two other classmates.

Tomorrow, the Academic Decathlon team has their first competition of the year. Students have spent the past six months studying this year’s topic: The Cold War. The competition includes topics such as art, economics, language, literature, math, music, science, social science, and a Super Quiz along with an essay and interview based on their knowledge of The Cold War as well as a speech section that each student has had time to prepare for and memorize.

“I feel slightly nervous, but because we’ve spent so much time preparing, I’m pretty confident that I’ll do fine,” sophomore Mai-Koi Vu said.

Typically students would be testing in another school filled with their competitors and proctors, but due to COVID regulations the decathletes will each have their own room to take their tests and will be proctored over Zoom. Although the format for testing is different, that didn’t keep the Academic Decathlon team from putting their all into preparing for the competition. They have participated in numerous study sessions, late nights, and games to expand their knowledge on The Cold War.

“I feel a little anxious for tomorrow, but also excited because we’ve been preparing for this for months now and it’s finally time to see our hard work pay off,” junior Sophia Tazerouni said.