The Benefits of Student IDs: Discounts!

Kristen Castillo, Editor-in-Chief

A new school year means new ID cards. Most of us may think of it as part of the school uniform, but did you know that you could use them outside of school? That’s right. Many stores and restaurants offer student discounts if you show your school ID at the cashier. “I thought it was a thing but I didn’t know for sure you could do that,” one freshman student said. Some students said that they have used their student ID for discounts, but no more than once or twice. Most students said that they never knew such a thing existed or knew where to go. “I would consider using it if I knew what stores to go to,” a sophomore said.
Here is a short list of some of the shops and theaters that offer student savings.
Shoes, Apparel, and Accessories:
Banana Republic

At Banana Republic in South Coast Plaza and the Mission Viejo Mall, you can receive 15% off your entire purchase, excluding items on sale. Just show your valid student ID at the register and you’re good to go!

j.crew

JCrew
After talking to Diane, a sales associate at South Coast Plaza’s J-Crew, she told me that showing the cashier your ID gives you 15% off any regular priced items. This discount does not include third party items (products not made by J-Crew) and you can’t add this discount to any other items on sale.
urbanoutfitters2
Urban Outfitters:
Urban Outfitters does not have student discounts everyday, but on occasion they do have savings starting at 10%-20% off. Megan, an employee at Urban Outfitters in Fashion Island, said that although they don’t have a discount everyday, you can be notified when they are accepting IDs at the register by downloading the official UrbanApp on your smartphone.
amc
AMC:
The AMC theatre in Downtown Disney is one of the many branches of AMC that offer student savings. Showing your school ID gets you $1.50 off of any movie showing after 4:00 pm.
century theatres
CineMark:
Finally, the Century theaters at the Bella Terra shopping center in Huntington Beach lowers the total cost of a movie ticket to $10.75 when you show a valid student ID at the box office.
Having a school ID doesn’t sound so bad now, does it? Take some time off during the weekend and relax at the movies or the mall and save some money!