The Scarlet Scroll

Justice League disappoints critics, but satisfies audiences

Jocelyn Aceves, Staff reporter

Poster Courtesy Warner Bros.

The newest superhero movie from DC Comics, Justice League, isn’t enough to please top critics. It’s chaotic action and gloomy aesthetic appears to be a “pointless fail,” according to Sara Stewart from the New York Post.

The newest superhero jam from DC Comics is looser, goosier and certainly more watchable than the last one, though the bar could scarcely have been lower,” Manohla Dargis from New York Times said. 

Is Justice League as bad as critics say? Not really. With total honesty, I enjoyed the movie more than I disliked it. I feel as if the negative press surrounding the movie is less about the movie itself and more about the politics and controversy surrounding the actors and I feel as if critics take information elsewhere and critique using outside information too – thus, they’re failing to critique the movie itself.

In fact, it seems audiences liked the film more than critics. Rotten Tomatoes polls show that while only 40 percent of critics enjoyed the film, 77 percent of general viewers liked it.

Whether it’s DC or Marvel, regardless who made it, and all the other conflicts outside of the film itself, a good movie is a good movie. Justice League is undoubtedly a good movie because of the character’s development and witty banter, as well as the story’s surprising plot twists.

“The team is a blast to see interacting on-screen,” super reviewer KJ Proulx from Rotten Tomatoes said. “The characters surrounding [Batman] and how they all come together was really the highlight of the movie, making the price admission worth it.” 

I feel that the film needed to provide its viewers with a bit more background knowledge about the rest of the “team” like Cyborg, Aquaman and the Flash to really make the viewers feel for these characters. However true, I actually thought that the casting and the characters’ interactions with each other another is phenomenal. There are great character moments, and the humor is most definitely there; the audience and I burst into laughter quite a few times while watching the film. And when we weren’t laughing, we were intrigued by the wit and good writing and direction. 

One of my favorite scenes of the movie was when Wonder Woman secretly wraps her lasso around Aquaman causing him to reveal his true thoughts about their current situation — I had a great laugh.

For those who aren’t DC fans, it would’ve been nice to have a bit of a back-story for each of the characters and to have a stronger reason for choosing those super heroes instead of others. The one thing that I really disliked about this movie was the moth-looking villain compared to actual intimidating villains. His presence was annoying and it was hard to take him seriously because while he was attacking all I pictured was him and a million other moths heading towards the light.

“Justice League adds wit, invention, color and warmth as it goes along, a strategy befitting a story about characters (and a world) waking up from emotional sleep and learning to take risks and care again,” Matt Zoller Seitz from RogerEbert.com said.