Mike Smith empowers student community with messages of kindness in action

Lexi Perez

The Mater Dei community welcomes guest speaker Mike Smith.

Lexi Perez, Visual Content/Social Media Editor

Guest speaker Mike Smith helped Mater Dei start off the new year by sharing his story and message with the school community at an assembly coordinated by ASB students and directors on Jan. 24.

By speaking at schools, conventions, and other events, Smith tells his story about how he became the founder and director of Skate for Change, a program that brings skaters together to give back to the less fortunate in their communities. Smith also founded one of the only non-profit skateparks, The Bay, in his hometown of Nebraska where young skaters, artists, and musicians have a space to stay out of trouble and come together.

“I think that because I grew up in a place where there wasn’t a lot of stuff and a lot of fun, I had to figure out how to create fun so I got really good at making something out of nothing,” Smith said.

Smith grew up in a town so small that the closest Walmart was an hour and a half away, so he said he had to use his creativity and wishful thinking to accomplish his dreams.

“I want to solve problems, and I think there is a big problem [that starts with high schoolers],” Smith said. “There’s a disconnect between why being kind in high school matters later in life.”

Smith said that the quicker we realize why helping others and being a good person matters, the better we will be in the “real world.”

I thought [the assembly] was cool because [Mike] was really easy to relate to and [what he was saying] was really educational,” junior Juliana Haider said.

The fact that Smith’s story related to several of students’ very own stories made it more impactful.

“I think that Mike Smith’s message has impacted our school enormously,” senior ASB Treasurer Makenzie Frank said. “His message has encouraged us to be better friends, better leaders, and to be ourselves.”

Smith said he has been paying attention to Mater Dei for a long time due to the school’s historic sports program. The long-awaited and strategically-planned assembly was finally made possible because Director of Student Activities Diana Neustadt is friends with Smith’s agent.

A few ASB members had the opportunity to talk with Smith after his presentation to ask questions, get advice, and hear more of his story.

“I really liked how [Smith] talked about leading and helping other people when no one else is looking

because that speaks to true integrity and a true form of servant leadership, which I t

ry to do in my own ASB leadership position,” senior ASB President Christine Nguyen said.

After Smith’s talk, many students left the Meruelo Athletic Center acknowledging Smith’s observations of their generation and feeling ready to follow his main message: “Stop wishing, stop talking, and start doing.”