January Monarchs of the Month: Melissa Dennin and Louis DiBernardo

Jake Bays, Staff reporter

Seniors Melissa Dennin and Louis DiBernardo were selected as the first Monarchs of the Month of the new year on Jan. 18. Every month, faculty and staff nominate a senior boy and girl for Monarch of the Month, a tradition that recognizes students’ Monarch character, as well as their accomplishments during their four years at Mater Dei.

Dennin dynamically serves community 

Senior Melissa Dennin was chosen for her constant service to children and Campus Ministry.

“I just love helping people,” Dennin said. “When I get to college I would like to major in global studies working with first graders because I can remember that grade very vividly.”

Dennin is no stranger to helping others. Along with being one of the leaders of Campus Ministry, she excels in mentoring and teaching young students.

In the past,Dennin also played on the Monarch soccer team for two seasons.

“Mater Dei soccer has taught me how to work well together as a team,”Dennin said. “We take practice seriously and we learn from each other and lift each other up … it creates a successful season.”

DiBernardo is more than ‘just a techie’ 

Senior Louis DiBernardo is working behind the scenes at most Mater Dei events you can think of. From theatre, to mass, to rallies, DiBernardo is there to help school events come to life.

“The best part I think is being able to have an audience coming in and not knowing anything, and then being amazed by what you put on the stage,” DiBernardo said.

DiBernardo also participates in the school robotics team. DiBernardo enjoys robotics because, he said, it is “a sport of mind.”

“I did computer design for our robot, and I also did a little 3D printing so that’s always fun,” DiBernardo said.

In addition, as part of his advanced management course, DiBernardo helps produce the masses and rallies with Campus Ministry and ASB, from organizing the schedule, to setting up the gear, to rehearsing the event, to running the event behind the scenes.

“Louis is a great team player and leader,” Director of Theatre Arts Joseph Alanes said. “He is both creative and organized which makes him a valuable ensemble member in all aspects of theatre, and in everything else he does.”