September Monarch of the Month: Ernie Figueroa

Isabella Balandran

Isabella Balandran, Co Editor-in-Chief

Senior Ernest (Ernie) Figueroa has been chosen as the male Sept. Monarch of the Month.

Figueroa is heavily involved in the Arts at Mater Dei where he sings in Chambers Choir and acts in the Improv Comedy Club.

In his leadership position of ASB President, Figueroa says, “I veritably love how much I am able to facilitate other people’s ideas and how we can all come together to form this new idea… Just being the one to facilitate that makes me extremely happy.”

Figueroa says that he is very honored to receive the title, Student of the Month.

“I feel like sometimes we get so caught up in the school process that we forget to give credit to ourselves and this is a really good reminder that we are doing a good job,” he said. “Jordan and I have been working together in ASB and outside and to see that we’re being recognized is really satisfying.”

Like many others, Figueroa greatly values the community within Mater Dei. “It’s really nice to have not just one person that you can rely on, but have a whole group of people. There are people in choir, there are people in sports, and you get different tastes of different cultures,” he said.

Outside of school, Figueroa plays guitar and tries to write songs. “I really enjoy music, and when I can, I just listen to it… I’m a big fan of singer/songwriter type music, so people like Ron Pope, Ed Sheeran… all self-based artists,” he said.

In the little free time he has, Figueroa values spending time with his friends. “We just talk… honestly, we just talk as much as we can in that little time that we have together because with college applications and school, it’s just very difficult to have any leisure time.”

Just like his admiration for conversing with his friends, Figueroa says he really enjoys Plato’s Allegory and perspective.

In order to balance his busy schedule, Figueroa explains, “I definitely have to check my planner every day and just try to stay on top of everything.”

His academic achievements consist of maintaining a 4.0 GPA, taking rigorous courses such as AP, and honors classes.