How to Prepare for the SAT and ACT

Utilizing resources and understanding the new SAT

Bluestocking

Hand completing a multiple choice exam.

The SAT and ACT tests are an essential part of preparing for college and helps in determining which college options for students. Both tests measure knowledge in different educational subjects. The SAT is based on the application of knowledge while the ACT is more curriculum based.

“You should probably start preparing for SAT and ACT tests during the sophomore year of high school,” said Kellie Bauer, Director of Guidance and Counseling, AP Coordinator and Outreach Concern Liaison.
Bauer recommends the following tips:
1. Purchase a Princeton Review Practice Books
The Princeton Review offers practice SAT and ACT tests. The practice tests held at Mater Dei are highly recommended because they are very similar to what the real test will look like, but with a variety of different questions that will make you familiar with the structure of the tests.
2. Take both Tests
Mater Dei High School encourages students to take both SAT and ACT tests more than once because colleges will accept your highest score and look at results from both tests.
3. Read
For the reading portion of the tests, Bauer advises to purchase and read books to improve reading comprehension and vocabulary. Other ways to prepare are to focus on doing well in school and reaching for rigorous classes, hiring a tutor or taking a Test Prep class if possible.
The new SAT test has become more similar to the ACT tests. In this test, the essay is optional. In the old SAT, a perfect score was 2400. In the updated SAT, a perfect score is 1600.
Mater Dei holds test prep sessions on campus that are offered for free. Princeton Review representatives are present for these sessions to give students extra guidance and helpful hints to master the tests they are taking.