Project Discourse production goes on a Witch Hunt

Holly Nance, Marketing Manager

On Thurs. Feb. 17, Fri. Feb. 18 and Sat. Feb 19, the Mater Dei Advanced Theater artists preformed a production of Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible.”
An outstanding cast led by student director Brittany Huie worked together to bring this classic play to life.
“The Crucible” was the annual project discourse production, a show that aims to create discussion among audience members and conversation between the audience and the actors themselves.
This show takes place in 1692 but was written in 1952. Knowing these facts, it is completely acceptable to feel intimidated by the possible outdatedness of the ideologies. However, “The Crucible” continuously captivates audiences with its astonishing relatability.
“These ideas transcend through time… the theme is universal,” said Huie.
The prevailing theme throughout the play is the fear of people who seem foreign. In this time, it was the women accused of witchcraft. Huie connects this theme to her modern viewers by asking the audience to contemplate who these people are in our society today.
Setting the mood on a stage shaped like a crucible itself, Huie creates both symbolism and irony. The play oozed with creativity and thoroughly displayed the amount of artistry required to put on such a production.
As always, the Mater Dei Theater Arts students put on an incredible showcase of talent, creativity and perspective.