Father Kiet Ta talks about the Meaning of Lent

Alex Audette, Opinion Editor

For many people March 1 was just another Wednesday, but for the Catholic and Christian communities, this marked a very important day. March 1, 2017 is Ash Wednesday, and it symbolized the start of the Lent season.

On the Mater Dei campus, students came together in the Meruelo Athletic Center to celebrate this special day as a community with mass. They heard sermons from Father Kiet Ta, sang hymns and prayed together as one. Mater Dei students also received ashes at the top of the forehead to show their repentance and belief in the Gospel.

Mater Dei’s priest, Father Kiet Ta, provided some insight on what Lent really means, and why it is so important in the lives of Christian’s and Catholics.

Q: Why do Catholics and Christians partake in Lent?

Father Kiet Ta: Lent is the 40 days before Easter for all of the Catholics, and for all of the believers to prepare themselves for the resurrection of Jesus Christ. We are invited to bare the cross, to die with him and to rise with him. We recognize that there will be times in our lives when we are asked to face different sufferings and challenges in our lives, in order to know that we will choose God. We will accept the journey that we walk with God.

Q. Why do Catholics/ Christians fast on Ash Wednesday? 

Father Kiet Ta: Ash Wednesday is the very first day that we start lent. On that day we try to make the commitment and realize that we want to challenge ourselves. It is a time to make [a] decision and to prepare ourselves for this Lent season. During this day, Catholics and believers try to make a series commitment throughout the fasting.

Q. Why is meat given up on Fridays? 

Father Kiet Ta: During the ancient times, meat was a luxury. Only the rich people could have it. People would yearn for eating meat because it was something that they lacked and something that they really wanted. We give up our meat to show our commitment. Meat is something that is very tasty and good, but I am willing to give it up and to give everything up in order to sacrifice all things that I have, to have the opportunity to be with God.

Q. Why does this fast last 40 days? 

Father Kiet Ta: Lent is 40 days for us to awaken our faith, to go back to all of the practices and ask ourselves, “how can I remain in faith, and how can I strengthen my faith? How can I make the commitment to walk with God?”

Q. What are you giving up for lent and why will list be difficult for you? 

Father Kiet Ta: I give up many hobbies. I give up the things that I really love to do. I give up what I enjoy the most in order to prove that God is that one that I worship, and with him I can care about nothing else. For example, I love to check my Facebook in order to be updated about my friends from all over the world. I love to hear news about them in order to update my knowledge on their lives. During Lent, I give up Facebook. I do this so that I can focus myself more in the meaning of Lent. I love to play video games, especially candy crush. But, during Lent, I tell myself, “no more video games.” I also give up meat, soda, sweet drinks, well except for coffee because I need coffee. I gave up going to the movie theatre. This is difficult for me, because these are things that I love to do. These things have become like a habit for me, but I must tell myself, “you know what, during Lent I will give up everything, because God is the only one whom I worship; He is the one that I want the most.” Because of this, I can give up everything.

Besides giving up particular things, Father Kiet Ta adds spiritual practices to his life. He is also a key speaker at different parishes around the community during this Lent season. This will allow him to meet more people and gain a deeper understanding of Lent and the impact it has on other Catholics.