Blue Bowl offers unique açaí, superfood bowls

Alex Audette, Opinion Editor

The smell of fresh açaí fills the entire restaurant as natural light shines through the shop’s windows and lands directly on the crisp fruit laid out in rows. Young children and adults alike put their hands on the top counter, peeking at the assembly process as they anxiously await for their colorful and nutrient-packed Blue Bowl.

Blue Bowl, located on Main Street in Orange, is an açaí bowl shop that is currently one of the most popular and hip spots among Mater Dei students.

The restaurant is a superfoods powerhouse that puts a twist on your typical açaí bowl. Blue Bowl offers a variety of different bowl bases, such as matcha and active coconut, in addition to the typical açaí base, as well as unlimited toppings such as cacao nibs, goji berries, chia seeds and an array of nut butters. It’s not uncommon to see people line up around the block just to get their hands on one of these bowls. Blue Bowl has received thousands of five-star Yelp reviews with many customers praising the bowls’ great flavor and customer service.

“Blue Bowl is different than other açaí places because it lets you choose what you want on your bowl,” said senior Maisie McPherson, who is an active customer. “I like that there are so many combinations you can make and the fact that the ingredients are uncommon.”

Blue Bowl is an assembly line type setup. To begin, customer first choose a bowl size of either a 12 ounces, 16 ounces or 24 ounces, and each bowl has one set price ranging between $7 and $13. Next, customers choose the base from açaí, active coconut, pitaya or matcha; customers also have the option to make their own combination of all or a few. After the base is scooped into the bowl, customers can top the base with an assortment of granolas and with their famous cold Blue Bowl chia pudding. To finish the bowl, it is topped with the fruits of choice and with any toppings the restaurant offers.

Blue Bowl has attracted a wide audience of Mater Dei students. According to senior Giana Danese, many Monarchs have made it their spot for a quick dinner before a Friday night football game, a pre- or post-practice energizer, or simply for an after school snack. Junior Sophia Thomas agrees and calls Blue Bowl her “go-to meal” before volleyball practice.

“It fills me up and is guaranteed to keep me energized for a long practice,” Thomas said.

Blue Bowl only has their one location in Orange, but they are in the process of opening their second location in Huntington Beach. The restaurant was originated by co-founders Teague Savitch and Ish Lozano. According to the store’s website, Savitch is a military veteran who was constantly on the search for healthy but quick and easily accessible foods. This inspired him to create a product which provides an abundance of health benefits, while at the same time giving customers the liberty to personalize their bowls to their liking in only a matter of minutes. Lozano, a former salesman with a background in organic superfoods, later crossed paths with Savitch and joined him on his Blue Bowl journey to head the supply-side of the business.

“It’s the culture that definitely sets us apart from everybody else, and it is the people who work here who make it such a greataçaí bowl place,” said Blue Bowl employee, Nevada Gibson.

Blue Bowl is located at 417 S. Main St. in Orange and they are open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. and on Saturdays from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. For more information, visit their website.