Teen Lingo: A Glossary

Leila Shaygan, Campus Life Editor

With different eras come different trends, whether they be in fashion or music. Colloquial language, or slang, is also a constantly changing form of expression in society. Our diversified language has helped to make us more and more incomprehensible to the older generation. So, to help each other, as well as our older counterparts, here’s a guide to the newest batch of ridiculous teen lingo:

File_000-2Yeet: Made popular with teenagers everywhere through the social media outlet, Vine, yeet can mean a multitude of things. The word is most often used as an exclamatory statement, either accompanying a preceding action, or standing loud and proud on its own. For example: *Throws someone’s pencil case across the room* YEET!!

Savage: Often met with the confused and angry eyes of parents, savage in the media right now doesn’t mean what you think it does. In this case, savage is used to describe a feeling or person that is beyond awesome, cool yet hardcore, not thinking about what the consequences of their sassy actions might be, and sometimes bordering on ruthless or kick-butt. “Dang did you hear Kathy yell at Nikki? She is savage.

YOLO: Originally popularized by Drake’s 2011 song, “The Motto,” YOLO is an acronym for You Only Live Once. You can think of YOLO as a teenager’s quick and mainstream way to say “carpe diem.” Example: “Dude did you really jump off that pier? Yeah, man, YOLO.”

We out here: Slightly more self explanatory than the previous ones, we out here is often used by a group to say that they’re around and putting in hard work. We out here can be interpreted to mean something similar to “we’re here and ready to conquer,” although many teens just use it as a simpler and trendier way to say they have arrived at their destination.

S’cute: A combination of the word “so” and “cute,” this is a perfect example of teenage laziness. “That dog is s’cute!”

Rn: As another combination, rn is the simplified version of “right now.” Rn is often used in texts as it saves characters and avoids the obvious exertion of energy caused by typing 6 more letters. “Do you wanna go to the movies rn?”

V: No, this is not a typo. V is the letter that represents the word “very.” Beginning as a shorthand device for texting, v has spread to everyday language. Again, laziness is a predominant factor. “I am hungry.”

On fleek: This phrase blew up after a hysterical 6 second video on Vine went viral. On fleek is synonymous with “on point” or spot on. “My eyebrows are on fleek today!”

Finna
: Originated form the phrase “fixing to” finna usually means about to do something or going to do something. “You finna get in the car?”

Fam: This word is short for family, but the criteria for family has definitely broadened. Fam is now used casually to describe friends or acquaintances. It often replaces words like “guys” or “dudes” Example: “What’s up, fam?”

Basic: No, this is not a liquid with a pH of 12. Surprisingly, this word actually sticks pretty close to the literal definition. Basic basically (lol) means something that is uninteresting, vapid, boring, or uncool. “Ugh, girl. Dump him, he’s sooooo basic.”

Whip: Gaining worldwide popularity, whip has been redefined to be a dance instead of the old-fashioned slang where a whip was an expensive car. Bluntly defined in Urban Dictionary as: “The most irrelevant dance move in the universe but performed by every human being on this earth, including moms.” The Cha Cha slide is getting a run for it’s money.whip

(Literally) Can’t: Being unable to perform any life related task. When you just literally cannot achieve anything on God’s green earth. Also exclaimed when you hear something that makes you want to cease existing whether it’s funny, upsetting, or irrelevant. When you have had it up to your eyeballs and you can’t take anymore. “OMG, they’re together?! I literally can’t.”

Turnt: Not the past tense of the word turn. Usually means to get excited about something or to describe something that is “lit” (see number 3) or really fun. Example: “Dude, homecoming was turnt.”

TBT: Stands for Throw Back Thursday. TBT is often used as a caption for an Instagram photo that was taken long before it was posted. Throwing back to another memory on a Thursday, although the Thursday is interchangeable with other days of the week. Also, the Thursday part is often not meant literally; the phrase tbt can just mean remembering something or going back.

Squad: Used to describe your posse, gang, clique, pals, mates, or any other word you want to call the collection of humans you hang out with and identify with the most.