The Scarlet Scroll

It’s Rally Time(line)

Racheal Taeubel and Addison Hermstad

Here’s all you need to know about the work and preparation that goes into creating a Mater Dei rally.

Two Months Before

The rally commissioners, Addie Hermstad, Emmett McGee, Nate Neglia, and Andrew Estrada, begin planning the event.

“We begin with brainstorming ideas for the rally’s theme, activities, and decorations,” said Hermstad.

For the fall sports rally, the theme was Olympics. It was complete with appearances from Mater Dei alums McQuin Barron and Thomas Dunstan who competed on the US Men’s Water Polo Team in the 2016 Rio Olympics. They competed in an arm wrestle and were judges for a combined race and dance competition.

“We’re so thankful that the Olympians were able to make it back and be a part of the fall sports rally with us,” said Neglia.

One Month Before
As the rally begins to get closer, the rally commissioners start making the decorations and begin writing the script.

“Publicity helps us with many of the posters. They made an awesome Christ the Redeemer poster, which was absolutely perfect with the Olympic theme,” said Hermstad.

The rally also had a display of the Olympic Rings in the front of the Meruelo Center. Other posters are hung around the room according to class colors.

One Week Before
With just seven days left, the rally commissioners finalize the script and write a minute-by-minute description of how the rally will go, including all the mics and other props they will need. They do this in coordination with Diana Neustadt,  to ensure everything goes according to the plan.

Day Before
The rally commissioners and ASB Officers run through the script and technical aspects of the rally with Andrew Roberts, the AV Technical Services Manager at Mater Dei. This allows them to work out any kinks within the script and schedule.

Morning Of
The decorations are put up and the rally is run over once again. All props are laid out to be ready for action.

During the Rally

Rallies follow a strict time schedule, so a script is loosely followed to ensure everything is going according to plan. It is important to be flexible while emceeing the rally and be ready for any unexpected last minute changes.

“A large part of the rallies is trying to solve problems in the moment when things go awry. It’s important that we are able to improvise,” said Hermstad.

As much as rallies are about sticking to schedules, preparing decorations, and staying Christian decent it’s also about creating a festive environment that celebrates school pride.

“At the rally we just do our best to get everyone to have a great time, be loud, and show their school spirit,” said Neglia.